Saturday, May 9, 2020

Priya

It's a cold starry night, and there's snow woven into the new grass. There's something out in the trees behind the house making desperate sounds. And now that I'm listening closely, it's gone quiet.

Tonight I made deliveries. A woman in a black dress with a bird's fragile body. Chinese students. Most people I don't see. I text them when I arrive and leave the food on the front step as instructed.

The last one was in an apartment building about the size of a city block. I parked in back, but the entrance was in front. I walk three quarters of a block, mildly annoyed, and I call the person to let her know I'm leaving the food - contact free - by the front door as per her request.

I see her silhouetted in a fourth floor window looking down at me. We wave kind of tentatively, at the same time, and she speaks my name into the phone. There's a moment of unexpected intimacy I feel all the way through.

Going without contact, staying alone, heightens something. Increases it's value.

No comments:

Post a Comment