Sunday, May 31, 2020

So green

1.   It takes an opening, an offering, for life to return.

2.   Blue jay - cousin to the crow - drinks from the birdbath and knows I'm watching. Sunny in the 60's with the grass overgrown and everything so green. I thought I might seed the grass with wild flowers for the benefit of endangered pollinators - glorious bees and butterflies - this Spring, but I still haven't yet. I'm supposed to do my taxes.

3.   The girl was there, with her bashful brown eyes glancing over the top of her mask, working beside the boy I imagine is her short but muscled and protective brother. She wears a chain with golden marijuana leaves. You realize now, in the harsh light of afternoon, that saying anything to her other than the name on your order and thank you would be creepy.

4.   I was cheering in the audience when they announced you'd won the contest. You leapt in celebration into the arms of your coach, wrapping your arms and legs around him. I kept cheering and whispered to myself.  "It's not about you." Is it loneliness, that sinking feeling, that sudden zooming out across distances into nowhere? Swallowing all that and crawling back across that span is  diagnostic of love.

5.   I guess what I want is to be silent, to read, to take naps, to watch and listen to the birds. I've got to go out for a few hours to feed the people. Yesterday, I got mad at a young man who didn't know the address he was at, the one he ordered food delivered to. He told me he was coming outside, to watch for him in the street, wearing his Pokemon pajamas.

6.   I'm a white man. I'm not sure what to do with that about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment