Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Free assembly

Last night there was a protest, and the people came together. They chanted, and filmed, and held signs, and posed for pictures. Police stood by, mostly out of sight, except for the two surveillance drones up high over Main Street.

The people marched from City Hall to the courthouse without breaking or burning things. The young ones chanted No Justice, No Peace and I Can't Breathe and Hands Up, Don't Shoot. The sound system played Fight The Power and Fuck The Police. Three of the protest speakers and organizers were people I've known and worked with over the years, fully formed leaders now.

I clapped, walked along, chanted quietly - but not much - watched, listened and got home by sunset. This morning the city still stands. Some would say that this was too tame and more is called for, but I'm glad the city didn't burn and people weren't harmed. I saw small children in the crowd, people of all kinds, and I worried for them. I walked past a police officer manning a street crossing, alone, telling passers by it was going to be alright.


No comments:

Post a Comment