Wednesday, September 30, 2020

I come in peace

The air changed overnight with the arrival of the rain. It's chillier now, less humid, more like the September in your mind. You think maybe you are singing along a frequency the mushrooms will understand. You keep remembering a band of them growing on the trail and imagining they had a message for you. What if you missed it? The call that would have changed your life. 

She said if I stood still with seeds in my hand they would sense my peace and come. This morning I stood holding a bowl of sunflower seeds while the chickadees and a titmouse fell upon the feeders. I got to within about a foot of them - one edge of the platform feeder to the other - before they became too apprehensive to land. 

I held the cup of seed out until my arm started to tremble and my shoulder began to ache. I remembered times holding a rifle out that way, and heavy lead x-ray tech vests in both hands with arms outstretched to the sides while gagging on bite-wings shaking hard and bleeding sweat, and other similar things I inflicted upon myself in the service of preparation and purification. I remembered the sun dance, chest pierced, leaning back with my weight against the rope under a pale hot sun trying to transcend. Tension, will, sacrifice, endurance. Trial by ordeal. I don't know how that relates to peace. 

But the birds couldn't find it either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment