Thursday, December 3, 2020

Out

There are robins about eating those fermenting red berries from the trees. That doesn't seem appropriate at this late date, but then it's 2020 so you oughta expect things to be out of whack. Walked in the woods for an hour today and carried heavy stones part of the way just to try to reverse some of this accumulated atrophy. 

It's good to move a little. It's good to have those clouds out of my head. It's good to feel exertion and clarity together for a change. It'll be good to feel sore tomorrow.

I'm lucky to live close to this boy scout reservation. There's a lot of woods and trails out there with almost no one ever on them. I feel the solitude of those trails as a great gift. 

When I was a cub scout, at age 9 or 10, I spent a few nights out there in a tent. I remember I didn't have a good time but nothing else really. Right now, there are something like 90, 000 alleged cases of sexual abuse by the leadership of the Boy Scouts of America against the boys which the institution tried to silence and bury. All those little boys out there at camp afraid of the dark. 

It makes me wonder when they'll have to sell all this land off to pay for their defense. 

Around 1980, a tornado blew through the area. I remember the damage. All those trees blocking the road just a mile from my house. It tore through the scout camp too, and while the boys were camping. Two of them perished.

I remember thinking of them as martyrs or saints after that. They were a sacrifice. To what, I couldn't understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment