Monday, March 15, 2021

I'm an introvert. Ok?

Listening to a radio program yesterday on the way home from a visit with my kids. Two people with vocal fry were talking about the need to transition more slowly from Covid isolation back into normal interaction. The guest was advocating for a space to process our communal grief. One of them brought up the ad I've seen recently featuring an orgiastic pile of young, naked, skinny people tonguing one another hungrily. A metaphor, apparently, for our yearning to return to normal interaction (and then some). 

I do not share these feelings, and it's more than just me being put off by the fact that vocal fry has overrun national public radio. The guest said she thought we needed to slow down the process of getting back to normal and find a way to process our grief together. 

My own sense of isolation blossomed in that moment. I felt repelled by the use of that word together. I didn't feel any sort of kinship with these two people talking. I didn't want to go back to the normal I imagined when they talked about it - quickly or slowly. And I certainly didn't want to do it together

Even if I was young and model thin, you wouldn't find me in that bacchanalian heap of revelers. Communing is a nice idea. I'll be fine over here just thinking about it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment