Saturday, March 27, 2021

That's about it

Even traveling I find myself avoiding people. Not really out of any conscious health concerns, I just don't really want to be around them. This morning, when I woke up, I made a plan to pay a visit to Fat Jack's tonight. I did not do that. My day consisted of a short workout in the hotel gym, going out for a sub-par muffuletta for breakfast, followed by a butter roll and coffee with chicory at a donut place run by a Cambodian family. It appears that Cambodians have cornered the donut business in Texas. The kids and the parents worked together to meet the demands of a continuous morning rush through the drive-thru and at the counter. I thought they seemed to be looking warily over the top of their masks. I had to listen hard to both accents, the customers and the proprietors, in order to understand them. It often took some time and several repetitions for them to understand each other. The proprietors wore masks. Most of the customers didn't. Donuts are only 75 cents. You've got to sell a whole lot of those to make a living. I liked the place, that family, and the way they worked together so well. After that, I audited some more medical records for a couple of hours. Then I took a seven mile walk around a lake, ate some BBQ, and retired to my room to read and just be quiet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment