Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Two nights I remember smiling

You can lose your mind, as the saying goes, reading homepages. The violence of the world, you could say or scream or weep. And you wouldn't be wrong, only skewed. I know this because I saw the trees flowering and cardinals and gold finches. Skunk cabbage coming back green as anything. 

I woke up to thunder at about 2 AM remembering these two particular evenings. The first one, you had invited me to join you and your best friend, at the time, for dinner. She was not my favorite person, but I'd have gone anywhere to spend time with you. You told me later that she disapproved of my meager financial status, but that she could tell I really loved you. She was right.

Some time later, you invited me out again. This time your sister was there. She had a sense of humor and tested me for mine. She told you she could tell I was in love with you by the look on my face the moment I saw you. She was also right. 

We're just days away from hummingbirds and lilacs here. These things, for me, will always be you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment