Thursday, June 16, 2022

Jailbreak

It was clear to me she was the leader. A great brown cow with hard determined eyes. She walked with her head low and forward. Eyes fixed straight ahead. The rest of the herd - a couple of smaller cows and about twenty calves - followed, packed in tight together and moving like a single body. They'd managed to stop two lanes of traffic in the town's main intersection. I don't know where they came from or where she was leading them, but there was something righteous and revolutionary about the great brown cow's attitude. 

I remembered a story I'd heard about what happens when the time comes for the farmer to separate the calves from their mothers. How they both cry out in agony and grief often for days after the fact. I'm pretty sure that this brown cow had decided she wasn't having any of that this year. 

The cops followed at a safe distance in a single car. 

On the way home, I got tired of listening to Ethan Hawke on benzedrine reading The Dharma Bums on my phone. Tired of the words and tired of the sound of his voice. That's not to say I dislike him or his voice or the book. I just found myself a little tired of them. 

I tried listening again a little later and pretty quickly became sick of it. Tired and sick are two different things entirely. I'd recommend stopping when you're tired. Give it a rest. Don't make yourself sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment