Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Dawn

I can't remember ever having enjoyed cleaning out a refrigerator until today. I took every thing out - all the food, the expired condiments, the drawers, and the tempered glass shelves. I scrubbed all the pieces with soap and hot water, dried them with paper towels, and wiped them down again with bleach wipes. I squeezed three types of funky flavored mayonnaise into my compost container. I used the same three-step cleaning process inside the refrigerator. And I did so mindfully. I'm not boasting when I say this, just noticing. I noticed, when I was washing one of the drawers with warm water and Dawn dish soap in the sink, that I felt a sort of contentment. I think I felt content because I was completely absorbed in the task. I wasn't ruminating about the past or worrying about the future. I wasn't trying to do three or four things at the same time. Mindfulness is being fully present in this moment. My refrigerator is freaking pristine right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment