Thursday, November 30, 2023

Load out

We lived under the same roof for months after we'd agreed to divorce. To say it was tense wouldn't cover it. Finally, the time came to draw a line. Someone rented a large U-Haul truck. She and a friend or two packed everything up, except for my clothes, and I loaded it all out into the truck. In the end, I had a bed and a few pieces of furniture left. Some of my clothes and papers and the stuff she didn't want were left in piles on the basement floor. 

In time, the spiders took over the basement, and I only went down there to deal with furnace issues once or twice a year after the washer and dryer died. The piles remained exactly where they were. What's it been now, 11 years? 

Today I moved one of those piles from the basement to the dumpster. It was mostly old running gear. Lots of t-shirts from races run of varying distances from 5k to 100 miles. Most of them I can't remember running. 

Being married was difficult. Living in a tense relationship with three small kids was very sad. Moving that pile today, if you subscribe to the ideas of feng-shui, will free up some energy that's been stuck in this house, and probably in me, for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment