Sunday, November 19, 2023

Spill it

Once in a great while I try to engage strangers in conversation. This is most often facilitated by alcohol. I'm not a regular drinker, so on the occasion that I have two or three, I tend to become expansive and may take the risk of reaching out to someone in my vicinity. This seems to happen almost magically when I'm traveling but much less often, or easily, when I'm home. 

I did this twice yesterday. I'm not very good at, or at all interested in, small talk so I tend to take us into  deeper waters pretty quickly. Sometimes this seems to make people uncomfortable. Other times we seem to make a connection. This time both parties I conversed with ended up leaving before I did. This makes me think I either bored them, freaked them out, or threw an unintentional wet blanket over their picnics. Oh well. Sorry about that. It won't happen again for several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment