Sunday, January 14, 2024

Putterer

It's always during a significant cold spell or a holiday weekend that I wake up with a sinking feeling about the state of my heating oil stores. I've ignored a couple of recent internal twinges warning me that I'm probably coming due until today when I noticed the gauge is bottomed out but the tank, thankfully, is not yet entirely empty. I bought five gallons of diesel fuel and will likely repeat the process tomorrow. Last Winter I experienced a similar event and, while distracted by rambling thoughts, I put five gallons of gasoline into the tank instead of diesel. That created some problems, but I eventually figured a solution without blowing up the house. Remind yourself to pump mindfully tomorrow. 

I discovered the status of the fuel tank this morning while trying to accomplish a simple task that turned out to take the better part of the day to accomplish. I needed to replace two license plates on a car. One of them came off easy enough, but the second one refused. I employed some WD 40. That did the trick for one screw but not the other. I apparently don't own any metric wrenches, so I went out and bought a few. The job was easily done once those were acquired. 

I think today I might have been an old man puttering around. I always wondered what that was like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment