Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Madman beside the water

In the dream, which is becoming increasingly distant, I was walking quietly along a ridge line above a swollen creek in the valley below. My walk was more like a stalk as I began leaning forward until my hands came into contact with the ground  and I ran along on four legs. A game trail which I'd not been able to see until then became clear to me and I sensed deer sign - tracks, droppings, scent.  A wildness seemed to be growing in me. I startled myself by speaking aloud in some kind of brogue. "We're not at all afraid of crazy. Never were and never will be." I said it over and over again as I made my way down the steep embankment to the laughing brook and squatted there on a rock. Something told me to brush myself off and let the flowing water carry away what had been clinging to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment