Sunday, February 16, 2020

Crow at Dawn

The insistence of a dawn crow and the urge to urinate wake me up. My youngest boy is here, sleeping in a room that needs paint and window treatments.

I was up late with the middle child who called from a Tampa emergency department with what he thought was his second sports related broken nose - the result of a skull and face colliding at athletic speeds.

Turns out it's not broken, just swollen and out of alignment, for which we are both grateful but we can expect a $150 bill for the out of network co-pay.

I had just been mulling over how to pay a $1,500 medical bill for the oldest child I found in the mailbox yesterday which our high deductible commercial health insurance plan that costs about $350 a week doesn't cover.

Then one of the lenses in my glasses popped out when they fell off the table while I was straightening up the house a little. I managed to jerry rig it back together, but it feels a little tenuous.

It's not bankruptcy, you know?  But it keeps you on the treadmill.

Ironically, before any of this transpired, I made $50 in my spare time yesterday responding to a government survey regarding my personal consumption of health care. Fifty bucks for a half hour of  saying "no". Not too shabby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment