Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Mundane domestic

I let the truck remain stuck and sideways in the driveway overnight. You want to be stubborn and look ridiculous? Fine. Make a freaking night of it, I said. 

Sometime during the night a ruckus in the kitchen woke me. A mouse. I have these new plastic traps that kill more efficiently than the old wood and wire ones did. This time it failed however, catching the mouse by a single leg. I dispatched it with a cement dumbbell, feeling like a callous bastard, and went back to bed.

There were dreams I can't remember and anxiety. When morning came, I observed the gravitational pull into my bed and against my eyelids was at least twice that of the rest of the planet. 

The truck was still out there. Just take it in stride. I dressed and went out, taking with me from the steps two exaggerating welcome mats. I shoveled the snow out of the area in front and behind, placed the mats under the back tires, and made my first attempt. The back wheels spun. I got out to see why I wasn't going anywhere. One of the welcome mats had been thrown 20 feet to the rear and torn in two. 

That's what? Another 25 bucks? I jammed the two halves back under the tire. The rubber one on the other side had held up better, probably because it didn't talk any shit like the other one. "Welcome"

I rocked the truck forward and back, forward and back, forward and back, turning the wheel a little to the right each time it inched forward. Soon the truck was free and pointed North/South in the driveway. 

The truck was blushing a little. I didn't say a goddamn word.

No comments:

Post a Comment